The latest addition to our healthy eating regimen is roselle kefir from My Kefir World. I have tried many different brands of probiotics for Cass and sadly, she liked none of them, except for the mango flavored probiotics from Melaleuca but it contains sweetener, which I don’t fancy. When I first let Cass try roselle kefir, I was doubtful that she would like it as she’s such a little fussy pot. But to my joy, she liked it! She only likes it when taken neat. She says it tastes like red wine, which is tart, slightly sweet with a soda / sparkling feel in the mouth.
Like yogurt, kefir is a cultured milk or cultured sugar water product with a tart and even sour taste, but the two foods have some differences as well.
Kefir (pronounced kee-fer) originates from the Caucasus Mountains in Eastern Europe. It’s believed that the name comes from the Turkish word “keif” which means good feeling. Kefir’s flavour is naturally sweet and slightly bubbly, and mild but a bit tangy as well.
Kefir contains high levels of vitamin B12, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K2, biotin, folate, enzymes and probiotics. Because kefir does not have a standardized nutrition content, the content values can vary based on the cows, cultures, and region where it is produced. Yet even with the range in values, kefir has superior nutrition.
Among the clinical researches done, some findings on kefir health benefits include:
1. Allergy prevention and control
2. Inhibits tumor growth
3. Improves lactose digestion for those who are lactose intolerant
4. Rats fed with kefir grains reduced their inflammation by 80%
after 2 weeks
5. Reduction in migraine, headaches, anxiety symptoms and more restful sleep
6. Kefir grains taken orally prevented fungal infection in human
trials in Russia
7. In Japan, experiments with mice showed that kefir induced a
positive immune response and the size of cancerous tumors
8. Corrects gastric and digestive problems
Rich in Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum, kefir also provides significant amounts of lactic acid bacteria and beneficial yeast. In fact, the cocktail of beneficial microbiota within kefir makes it one of the most powerful probiotic foods on the planet!
Below – water kefir grains
Because of kefir’s unique set of nutrients it has been show to benefit the body in 7 main ways:
- Boost Immunity
- Heal Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Build Bone Density
- Fight Allergies
- Improve Lactose Digestion
- Kill Candida
- Support Detoxification
The drink is made either with kefir grains or a powdered kefir starter — the grains aren’t an actual grain like wheat, but are made of bacteria and yeast. Generally of a thinner consistency than yogurt, kefir is usually sold as a drink, either plain or flavoured.
Fun Facts On Roselle
Roselle is becoming increasingly popular as a health drink.
Roselle contains one of the highest content of Vitamin C. It contains 3 times more Vitamin C than blackcurrant and 9 times more than citrus fruit. It is also found to have rich anti-oxidant properties (anthocyanins).
The fresh roselle calyx has been found to contain vitamin D, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and vitamin B2 Complex, Vitamin A, Niacin and Calcium.
Known benefits of drinking roselle juice:
1. Its drink acts like natural electrolyte beverage to substitute
minerals sweated out while playing sport.
2. Decreases inflammation of kidney and urinary tract.
3. Scientists found it is good for arteriosclerosis and reduce blood
4. Normalize blood pressure.
5. Stimulate internal peristalsis.
6. Relief cough and fever.
7. Increase our bodies’ resistance to diseases.
8. Decrease absorption of alcohol.
9. Softening and smoothening of skin.