A supermarket at my neighborhood is having a promotion for avocados today. At only 99 sen each, I could not resist buying at least 10 of them! But I only bought 2 to test if they are fresh and yes they are almost perfect inside. Tomorrow I’m set to charge the supermarket at 9am to grab a big bag of avos 😀
These days, the avocado has become an incredibly popular food among health conscious individuals. It is often referred to as a superfood… which is not surprising given its health properties.
Here are some of the health benefits of avocados:
1. They are incredibly delicious!
2. They contain more potassium than bananas
3. Avocado is loaded with heart-healthy Monounsaturated Fatty Acids
4. Loaded with fiber.
5. Eating avocados can lower Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels
6. The fat in them can help you absorb nutrients from plant foods.
7. Avocados are loaded with powerful antioxidants (Lutein and Zeaxanthin) that can protect the eyes.
8. Avocados may help relieve the symptoms of Arthritis.
9. Eating avocados may help you lose weight.
10. Avocados can help stabilize blood sugar
Here are some of the most abundant nutrients, in a single 3.5 ounce (100 gram) serving of avocado:
- Vitamin K: 26% of the RDA.
- Folate: 20% of the RDA.
- Vitamin C: 17% of the RDA.
- Potassium: 14% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B5: 14% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B6: 13% of the RDA.
- Vitamin E: 10% of the RDA.
- Then it contains small amounts of Magnesium, Manganese, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Phosphorous, Vitamin A, B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin) and B3 (Niacin).
An article from the Australia Daily Mail Online on 16 June 2015 states that avocado could help fight cancer – in particular leukaemia cells and stops them from growing, raising hopes for a new drug. Read more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3126200/How-avocado-day-fight-CANCER-Fat-fruit-targets-leukaemia-cells-stops-growing.html#ixzz3f5B7ry5Q