I was reading the Fit4Life section in the Sunday Star newspapers last week when an article really caught my attention. There was an article on poor blood flow / circulation. The symptoms of those suffering from poor blood circulation are:
1. Pale complexion — I am fair and at times pale!
2. Shortness of breath
3. Irregular heartbeats
5. Oedema (swelling)
7. Stiffness in neck, shoulder blades or lower back — I suffer from these all the time!!
8. Varicose veins — I had terrible bad varicose veins during my pregnancies!!
10. Numbness in hands and feet — I suffer from numbness and tingling sensation in my right hand almost every night!!
11. Poor memory — I have that too!!
12. Lack of stamina
The following statement was like a slap on my face as I encounter 5 of the symptoms :
If you encounter two or more of these symptoms on a regular basis, you may just be one of millions of Malaysians who suffer from poor blood circulation.
To improve blood circulation, you need to do the following:
1) Maintain a balanced diet — pass, I do that!
2) Healthy lifestyle — pass, I do that!
3) Regular exercise — Pass, I do that!
4) Stop smoking — I don’t smoke
5) Sit with correct posture — Fail, I must sit upright when I work on my PC. But how to when Baby is always latched on my boops?
6) Normalise cholesterol levels — I don’t have high cholesterol
7) Those with hypertension, diabetes mellitus, angina and arteriosclerosis have to be under medical supervision — I don’t suffer from any of these.
Ignoring the signs and symptoms of poor blood circulation can lead to serious repercussions. If not attended to in time, poor blood circulation can cause irreversible damage, affecting key organs of the body, notably the brain and the heart. The increased occurrence of heart attack and stroke in those below 50 is a clear testament to this!
Do you suffer from 2 or more of the above symptoms too?