A relative gave us a few huge stalks of aloe vera last week. I know that aloe vera has been known for many years as an amazing plant, with amazing healing properties. Some people whom I know of eat the flesh in its raw form, by scooping out the flesh with a spoon as if they were eating jelly or ice-cream. But I just can’t stomach the bitterness of the gel/flesh. I think it’s much, much more bitter than bitter gourd.
I can only eat it if the aloe vera is slightly sweetened. I used to buy the sweetened aloe vera from Lo Hon Kar outlets but they ain’t chep. I have also boiled aloe vera with dried loh hon kor and the concoction tastes great. The other day, my mil boiled the aloe vera with some mak joa (preserved honey dates). It’s quite tasteless but the flesh is pretty nice to chew on, as if one is eating jelly. Sadly, Alycia and Sherilyn didn’t quite accept the taste and I had to add some Ribena to the aloe vera drink and force it down their throats.
I did a google search on the health benefits of aloe vera and found 518,000 search results on aloe vera! Anyway, here are some interesting facts on the health benefits of aloe vera, extracted from this website:
• Halts the growth of cancer tumors.
• Lowers high cholesterol.
• Repairs “sludge blood” and reverses “sticky blood”.
• Boosts the oxygenation of your blood.
• Eases inflammation and soothes arthritis pain.
• Protects the body from oxidative stress.
• Prevents kidney stones and protects the body from oxalates in coffee and tea.
• Alkalizes the body, helping to balance overly acidic dietary habits.
• Cures ulcers, IBS, Crohn’s disease and other digestive disorders.
• Reduces high blood pressure natural, by treating the cause, not just the symptoms.
• Nourishes the body with minerals, vitamins, enzymes and glyconutrients.
• Accelerates healing from physical burns and radiation burns.
• Replaces dozens of first aid products, makes bandages and antibacterial sprays obsolete.
• Halts colon cancer, heals the intestines and lubricates the digestive tract.
• Ends constipation.
• Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces triglycerides in diabetics.
• Prevents and treats candida infections.