My mil bought a very huge sour sop from Ipoh the other day. I can’t remember if I had ever tasted soup sop before in my life. Well, it tasted very much like apple custard but the flesh has a tinge of sourish taste and the sour sop that she bought had very few seeds. None of my kids liked it unfortunately because of the rather pungent smell. Not many people can stomach the smell, just like how some people love durians and some people just loathe at the sight of durians. My mil and I had to finish off the fruit over a few days.
Soursop is not only a delicious and healthy fruit but it is used medicinally to treat illness ranging from stomach ailments to worms.
1. Soursop seeds which have emetic properties can be used in the treatment of vomiting.
2. Soursop leaf decoction is effective for head lice and bedbugs.
3. Soursop crushed fresh leaves can be applied on skin eruptions to promote healing.
4. Soursop juice of the fruit can be taken orally as a remedy for urethritis, haematuria and liver ailments.
5. Soursop juice when taken when fasting and it is believed to relieve liver ailments and leprosy.
6. Speeds the healing of wounds, the flesh of the soursop is applied as a poultice unchanged for 3 days.
7. A decoction of the young shoots or leaves is regarded as a remedy for gall bladder trouble, as well as coughs, catarrh, diarrhea, dysentery, fever and indigestion.
8. Mashed leaves are used as a poultice to alleviate eczema and other skin problems and rheumatism.
9. The root bark is use as an antidote for poisoning.
10. Soursop flowers are believed to alleviate catarrh.
11. Decoction of leaves used as compresses for inflammation and swollen feet.
In the past few years, the story about the miracle discovery of Sour Sop (also known as Graviola or scientifically named as Annona muricata) as a natural cure for cancer has definitely shocked the modern medical science, especially in advanced medical countries, such as America.
Nutrient Value per 100 grm:
i. Vitamin: C 20.6
v. Dietary Fiber: 3.3g
x.Total Carbohydrate: 16.84g
xi.Total Fat: 0.3g
xii.Saturated Fat: 0.05g
xiii.Monounsaturated Fat: 0.09g
xiv.Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.06g