I like to eat my grapefruit by cutting it into half, then juice it. If I slice the grapefruit and eat it from the skin, I find it super messy and the acidic juice tend to sting the skin surrounding my mouth.
Thus, I find that drinking the juice of the grapefruit is the most efficient and fastest way of eating my grapefruit!
Health Benefits of Grapefruit
1) Citric acid of fresh grapefruit juice has an alkaline reaction that increase the alkalinity in the body. The fruit juice has been found useful in treating many diseases caused by too much acid in the body system.
2) Grapefruit is a rich source of pectin. Pectin is a soluble fibre that helps to lower blood cholesterol.
3) Pink and red grapefruits contain high amount of lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant that is know for lowering the risk of prostate cancer.
4) Grapefruit stimulates appetite and posses unique ability to burn away fat, for many years people have used the fruit to lose weight.
5) Prevent and treat diabetes – eating grapefruit can help people lose weight which in turn can decrease the risk for diabetes.
6) Grapefruit peel is rich with pectin which is used for the preservation of other fruits. The peel oil can also be use as soft-drink flavouring.
7) The pulp of grapefruit is valuable in relieving constipation. When wholly taken, it supplies healthy bulk to aid bowel action.
8) The bitter properties of grapefruit can remove the burning sensation of fever and is excellent remedy for influenza.
9) Grapefruit contain natural ‘quinine’ which is used to treat malaria. This ‘quinine’ can be extracted by boiling a quarter of a grapefruit and straining the pulp.
10) The protective plant chemicals found in grapefruits induce the production of enzymes that help to prevent cancer.
11) Grapefruit juice inhibits a special enzyme in the intestines that is responsible for the natural breakdown and absorption of many medications.
12) Eating grapefruit daily seems to alleviate rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and other inflammatory disorders symptoms.
13) Grapefruit juice is extremely rich in vitamin C and potassium. Therefore, it is used as a medicine in scanty urination caused by kidney, liver and heart disorders.
14) Grapefruit is a natural source of soluble dietary fibre that offers many health benefits.
15) Grapefruit juice can boost anti-cancer drug.
Other grapefruit benefits include: Waste from grapefruit packing plants can be converted into molasses for cattle. The hulls can be used for soil conditioning, when combined with the dried pulp it can be used to feed cattle. Old grapefruit trees can be salvaged to use for firewood.